Skip to main content

Why "Reasoned Christian"

I have been a Christian my entire life. I have always attended services regularly, even throughout college. And I would study it laboriously at times. And while I don't think that I have ever been a Christian to casually say "God Bless You" I most certainly will quitely say a prayer to the Lord at any given time.

Comparatively, I have also been a scientist and engineer my entire life. Though in my youth I certainly practiced ans studied these ideas more than the teachings of any religious text. I loved evolution and how a species could change. I observed the change in theories of the expansion of the universe. And I engaged in every conversation on stem cell research, and AI that came my way. And now I work in the field of robotics, were we are grappling with the ideas of consciousness and perception of reality.

Most people consider these two components of my life as contradictory. When I am discussing evolution with an atheist and they find that I am a practicing Catholic, they are often taken aback. At first I never thought much of the perceived discrepancy between science and religion. But as I've grown older I've seen where the cracks seem to appear and the misconceptions arise. I've since made it my mission to try to make those cracks larger so they can be examined and analysed. So I can critically look at my religion and science.

With these writings I hope to take the arguments against religion posited by the likes of Doctors Carl Sagan, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and others who are publicly recognized today, and deconstruct them. I will do the same for preachers and clerics who are often less well known and recognized.

Anyone looking to evaluate the validity of my experience can certainly do so. I am a practicing robotics engineer. And I have been a member of the Catholic Church my entire life. As to what I know and what I do not, there is a lot and a little of both. Therefore I will be leaning heavily on the ideas of others. And hopefully each post will not be the evaluation of an idea but the presentation of an idea from the religious and scientific side and then a critical analysis of both. One doesn't have to know a lot of things to have a critical thought process about anything.

I hope that the writings to come will help to create a foundation of strong critical thinking when evaluating religion and science.

Comments